This was the graveyard of the original RC Church of Our Lady of Mount Carmel,
known as St. Mary's Church in its early days.
Established in 1841, St. Mary's/Mount Carmel was the second Catholic Church
in Queens (after St. Monicas, est. 1838).
Its graveyard was among the earliest burial places in Queens for
Irish Echo, Saturday, December 6, 1975, "Old Cemetery in Deplorable State".
This article helped to effect a renovation of the cemetery after years of
vandalism and neglect.
Please note that the situation has changed considerably since its publication.
Today the cemetery is maintained and protected by the Brooklyn Diocese.
The Astoria Historical Society site posts this
by Elaine Machleder.